Thursday, March 20, 2014

What I do every day for long term weight loss success-Mind work Series Part 1

In this post,  I'm going to discuss steps to help make the mind switch from EXCUSES mode to RESULTS mode. It's not easy changing anything-it takes consistency & time.  It does work IF you practice it everyday. Constantly. Not just every so often. That's the trick.


  •  Strategies that help:
First things first, to train your mind (when it comes to losing weight) you need to learn how to control your "resistance/giving in muscle" in your brain. Yes,  these exist.  And YES you can control them. But how?  Practice makes perfect. It's simple. The more you resist, the more your resistance muscle grows. It's a constant thing. You do this day in and day out-you'll make resisting a part of you.

For example, in the past, at my previous job, there used to always be pizza and all kinds of goodies in the break room. Back then I dived right in, I couldn't resist. Now I can comfortably resist in these types of situations. Why?  I trained my thoughts to think a certain way towards "off limits foods".

My brain- my new controlled "learned" thoughts (i think these as soon as I see off limit foods):
  • "These foods will make me sick,  physically and mentally (guilt)."
  • "This food isn't to fuel - I only put foods that provide nutrients (unless it's a planned meal)."
  • "Eating this will only provide short term satisfaction-not worth it."
  • "Food ends up being waste either way. Either in your body or on the trash. Not worth it."
  • "Food can be sabotaging. If I eat it,  I will crave it and want more of it. It's better to have none of it so I'll have control."
You can train your mind to think this way above OR teach it excuses (shown in example below-which YOU let in. You CAN avoid them by reversing them,will explain in a minute.)

Excuses example:
  •  "But it tastes so good. "
  • "I have a weakness for food so I eat it. "
  • "I don't care if it makes me fat. "
  • "I might regret it but it's worth it. "
  • "I'll have a taste, then a bite, it's no big deal."
  • "I can't help myself. "
  • "Everyone else is eating it. "
  • "It's just calories-they don't matter, nobody's counting anyway. "
  • "It's too hard to say no. "



It may seem impossible but you CAN reverse excuses. These can be hard to feed off-you'll need lots of practice, and I find that flashcards help. Especially if you read what you need to reverse your thought to (right after you make the excuse. ) -why it's worth reversing. Puts it right in your face so you're forced to read it.

  • Example: You use the "it tastes so good" excuse.  Here's what you need to tell yourself to reverse your excuse: It may taste good but it'll be short team satisfaction. I prefer to eat foods that are much healthier that taste good (like shakeology) that offer me long term satisfaction=fit, abs, high energy, confidence. That's worth putting the bad food down and having a different choice instead. Besides,  you'll feel less guilty and better physically.



Stay tuned for more info on mind work!

Until next time,
-Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment